Lansdowne Road was one of the great stadia of international rugby and it was on this day in rugby history in 1878 that the old stadium hosted its first international fixture. The 15-a-side match was between England and Ireland with the visitors winning two goals and a try to nil.
The stadium became the home of the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) but at the time it was run by Henry Wallace Doveton Dunlop who developed the ground for the Lansdowne Rugby Football Club in addition to Lansdowne cricket club, Lansdowne tennis club, and Lansdowne archery club.
--- Get in the Gear of the Ireland national rugby team at the World Rugby Shop. Check out the selection and show off your support for Ireland. ---
For the first match, Dunlop rented it out for £5, and half of any profit over £50 after the deduction of expenses.
Rugby became the main sport played at Lansdowne Road and the lease was eventually bought by Harry Sheppard, the IRFU treasurer, around 1888 and on Sheppard’s death by the IRFU.
The stadium was demolished in 2007 to make way for the new Aviva Stadium.
1895 – Albert Jenkins, Wales and Llanelli rugby union player